LOANS OFFICER – Two Positions: Ottawa, ON and St. Catharines, ON
We are a thriving credit union, known for extraordinary customer service that has deep roots in the community. The company serves its individual, organizational and business-based members with high integrity, sound stewardship and competitiveness. We are currently looking for a Loans Officer in each of our Ottawa and St. Catharines branch locations. You will report directly to the Branch Manager. As the Loans Officer, you will be primarily responsible for generating business volumes and revenues. This includes increasing the credit and deposit portfolio.
As a key member of the Branch team, the Loans Officer will:
- Market the credit union’s products and services by promoting, up selling and cross selling a full range of lending and investment vehicles.
- Actively solicits new sales opportunities through warm and cold calling potential community businesses as well as through staff referrals.
- Maintains a high profile within the branch trading area and actively seeks out opportunities to build and foster relationships with members, non-members and business contacts.
- Champions the credit unions sales culture by demonstrating exemplary sales skills, especially during all branch campaigns and promotions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identifies opportunities to promote, up sell and cross sell credit union lending products including consumer loans, mortgages, lines of credit and credit cards.
- Being a product specialist, providing good financial advice by identifying services members need.
- Qualifies all loan and mortgage opportunities by conducting member interviews, analyzing relevant financial information, verifying loan application information and investigating other variables affecting loan viability.
- Approves loans and mortgages within discretionary limits; makes recommendations for approvals or declines to next level management if outside discretionary limits. ·
- Prepares and processes all appropriate documents associated with loans and mortgage approval including, insurance and cheque disbursements; liaises with all relevant agents such as home inspectors and lawyers.
- Develops a process for early identification of problem accounts and promptly takes action to minimize risk; initiates ‘soft’ collection activity by following up delinquent accounts.
- Develops a process to identify investment, loan and mortgage renewals; initiates contact with member to maintain accounts and relationships.
- Meet sales targets for non-interest income products.
- Promote, recommend and explain digital services to members.
- Represents the credit union in the community by participating in local business activities and community functions, as required by management and for business development purposes.
- Maintains strict adherence to credit union and branch operating procedures, lending policies and security procedures with respect to assigned authorities and responsibilities; reports any unusual occurrences or fraudulent activity to next level management upon discovery.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by next level management as, and when, required. This may include opening member accounts, producing reports, assisting members with regular transactions and assist Member Service staff.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Completion of a post-secondary degree with a concentration in Finance, Commerce, or Accounting is an asset, or has equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in credit underwriting; and generating mortgage and loan business in a credit union or other financial institution.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge of member life cycle needs; knowledge of features and benefits of lending, investment, and deposit products; knowledge of interviewing solicitation and telemarketing skills.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Strong team player; working collaboratively in a small branch setting.
- Proven experience in sales. · Confident, self-starter, proactive
- Flexible and demonstrates high degree of adaptability, able to organize effectively and manage multiple priorities
- Computer literate – Word, Excel; PowerPoint, Outlook
- Embrace learning and utilizing new technologies
- Bilingual – English, and Ukrainian an asset
- This position interacts with credit union members, all branch positions and members of the community, including the business community within the branch trade area.
- This position plays a role in transferring skills and knowledge to others.
- A standard office environment is provided however due to the nature of the business, there is risk of exposure to hold-ups and threats.
- Travel to various credit union and meeting locations within the province may be required.
- Works with confidential and/or sensitive information and must maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Concentration is required when working with computer systems.
- Regular interruptions by staff and members (unscheduled appointments)
- Required to assist with branch housekeeping
Please note Ukrainian Credit Union Limited has an accommodation process in place and provides accommodations for employees with disabilities. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability or a medical need, please let us know so that arrangements can be made for the
appropriate accommodations during the recruitment and selection process.
For consideration, please submit your resume and application, specifying which location in your subject heading (Ottawa-Loans Officer or St. Catharines-Loans Officer) by email to Andrew Rozanec, Human Resources Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 30, 2021.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview
will be contacted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.