At the 40th Triennial National Convention of the Ukrainian National Federation of Canada, held on May 15, a long-time Ukrainian Canadian activist Iryna Washchuk was made an Honorary Member of the UNF.
This was a tribute to Ms. Washchuk’s over 40 years of work at the Ukrainian Women’s Organization of Canada (UWOC), an Affiliate Organization of the UNF. She became a member of UWOC West Toronto Branch in 1980 and was the Branch President from 1988-1997.
Ms. Washchuk’s other accomplishments include:
- member of UCC Board of Directors Toronto Branch
- 1991 First VP Ukrainian Women’s Organization of Canada
- 1998-2004 President of the National Executive of UWOC
- 1999-2002 – member of Charitable Fund at the Ukrainian Canadian Social Services, Toronto Branch
- 1998-2022 Chair of The Council of Social Services at the Ukrainian World Congress
- 2004 International Observer for elections in Ukraine
- Member of the Board of Directors of the New Pathway newspaper
- 2001-2017 Chair of the Committee to support the building of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Ukraine
- 2007-2012 Chair of By- Laws Committee at World Federation of Ukrainian Women’s Organizations (WFUWO or СФУЖО)
- 2008 – Member of the UNF West Toronto Committee – To Help Ukraine
- 2016 Member of the Ukrainian War Veterans Association
The New Pathway – Ukrainian News congratulates Ms. Washchuk on this tribute as well as on her life-long achievements as one of the leaders of the Ukrainian Canadian community. Her service to this newspaper as a member of the Board has been invaluable for our development as the voice of the Ukrainian National Federation and the wider community.